The history behind the Village Hall is a great one, read more about it below:
The Hall is situated in the centre of the village and is very much at the heart of community life. It was built opposite St Bartholomew’s Church as the Church Mission. The foundation stone that was laid by the Countess of Yarborough in 1897 can still be seen.
Extensions were made over the years - Miss Elizabeth Dawson made a bequest enabling the second phase of building work to be carried out. Eventually it became known as the Church Institute. There was also self-contained accommodation for the Caretaker within the property. This is still in daily use, though now for a different purpose!
Ownership was transferred to Keelby Parish Council in 1982, although strong links with the Church are maintained. It is managed and run on behalf of the Council by the Village Hall Committee. As you can see from the photograph, it is a very special place with lots of history behind it. In 1985, it was listed as a Grade II property. In the year 2000, following extensive refurbishment, Community Lincs named it as being the Best Kept Village Hall in Lincolnshire.
It is presently undergoing a further programme of modernisation and refurbishment. Keelby Village Hall also had the distinction of being the first community building in West Lindsey to be enabled for wireless broadband by the District Council.
There are also a lot of beautiful and historical stain windows surrounding the Hall. If you want to help us maintain them, go on our Fundraising page by clicking here.
The History of Keelby
Keelby is referred to in the Domesday Book as Chelebi, a Viking name meaning ridge valley. A small Cistercian nunnery was established around 1170 at Nun Cotham. The remains can be found on the outskirts of the present village and cared for by English Heritage.
The largest and oldest building in the village is St Bartholomew’s Church, most of which is about 800 years old with parts dating back to possibly the 12th / 13th century. Close to the Church is another ancient building, a rare survival of a mediaeval hall built in chalk around the mid 14th century or possibly earlier and now part of a private dwelling.
History behind the population of Keelby
When the first census was taken in 1801, there were 313 people in Keelby. By 1851 the population had risen to 859, settling to 650 by 1939. The majority of people at this time were employed on the land, in service or as trades’ people.
Until World War II, Keelby was largely a self-sufficient village that also served the needs of smaller nearby villages. Since 1945 the village has seen many changes. The population has risen to over 2000, with the largest growth seen in the 1970s and 80s when several modern estates were built.
Post war – because of changes in agricultural practice, the development of Immingham as a major port and the establishment of the Humber Bank factories – Keelby has become much more of a dormitory village with people travelling out to work, shop and socialise. However, when compared with many other villages, it is still well served by shops, trades people and community organisations.
The village has always had a fairly mobile population. In 1881, less than half the population had actually been born in the village. However, many came from nearby villages. Another large source of immigration was from Yorkshire. Today there are people from all parts of Britain and beyond who have made Keelby their home.
Source: Keelby Parish Plan 2008 “Towards the Future”.